Huntsville Philosophy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can science be a purpose in itself?

2 posters

Go down

Can science be a purpose in itself? Empty Can science be a purpose in itself?

Post  Fixed Cross Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:29 pm

I recently saw the IMAX film about the rescue of the Hubble telescope. As a child I was deep into astronomy - now it has become astrology - and I was deeply moved by the images that the Hubble made of a several hundred lightyear wide 'star-womb' in the Orion constellation. Likely, no piece of art can match the power that kind of image has over me. It is enough to know that such a thing exists, to be privileged to know what it looks like - this is so much better than the assurance of meaning given my religion.

My point is that science, the mere endeavor of it, is a justified by the beauty of what the scientist discovers.

Fixed Cross

Back to top Go down

Can science be a purpose in itself? Empty Re: Can science be a purpose in itself?

Post  Abstract Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:30 am

Yet what beauty it discovers is minimalized by the demystification that science brings is it not?
Abstract
Abstract
Admin

https://huntsvillephilosophy.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Can science be a purpose in itself? Empty Re: Can science be a purpose in itself?

Post  Fixed Cross Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Only if you let it.

I was taught the structure of the atom by my dad when I was 7, it is very intuitive and exiting. I went on to learn about the planets, Saturn in particular, until I hit the age when I got interested in myself. Im gradually coming around again to include the scientific view in my trance of wonder. Luckily astrology allows me to connect my idea of self, soul to the physical world that originally captured my imagination.

Can science be a purpose in itself? Hubble-eagle-nebula-wide-field

After all we are visible only to ourselves by what we perceive, what we receive.

Fixed Cross

Back to top Go down

Post  Abstract Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Yes it only demystifies things if you assume you have come to a conclusion but in reality there are no conclusions only the continuing journey.
Abstract
Abstract
Admin

https://huntsvillephilosophy.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum